The same applies to any kind of waste, including scrap metal, WEEE, and ELVs. Businesses have a legal responsibility to ensure that their waste is stored, transported, and disposed of without harming the environment. This is called ‘duty of care’.
If your business produces any kind of controlled waste, you must comply with the duty of care. Most types of business waste are classed as controlled waste including household, commercial, and industrial waste.
You must ensure that you:
- store and transport your waste appropriately and securely so it does not escape
- check that your waste is transported and handled by people or businesses that are authorised to do so
- complete waste transfer notes (WTNs) to document all waste you transfer and keep them as a record for at least two years
If a waste carrier takes your waste away, you may also need to check that the site it is taken to is authorised to accept it.
Morecambe Metals is a fully authorised and approved waste management company. When you dispose of your scrap metal waste with us, you can be sure that:
- All transactions are made under Duty of Care requirements
- All purchase transactions are recorded in our systems
- All weighbridge transactions are recorded, manually and electronically
- All our vehicles are tracked by GPS
All these factors ensure a transparent audit trail and fully compliant paperwork.
Health & Safety and Quality Assurance
Morecambe Metals is committed to meeting our responsibilities under health and safety legislation and managing our site activities, therefore we have a comprehensive management system and health and safety policy in place.
All management systems and internal policies are monitored regularly to ensure that we are consistent in our procedures and improvements wherever necessary can be made.
Contact Us if You Have Any Other Questions
If you have any other questions with regards to our duty of care, or you would like a comprehensive rundown of the ways in which we maintain this, then please do not hesitate to contact us. Simply give us a call today on 01524 69191 and one of our specialised members of staff will be able to help.